I hope this will serve as a handy reference point for anyone trying to schedule in some downtime, alongside feelings of guilt when they feel they aren’t doing anything.
- No social media
- No phone or work-related screens
Set a timer if you need to and get relaxing!
Too busy to switch off?
Hey, I know! What I’ve noticed too, is the moment I sit down, I think of 101 things I need to do and can’t possiblly forget.
So this is my tip, and it helps stops me feeling guilty: To ease into a lack of connectivity, try keeping a notepad and pen handy for writing down anything you think of in your rest time. This way, you can be assured your brilliant idea or vital task won’t be forgotten but you don’t get sucked back into work.
Going for a walk is also an excellent way to take a break from screens. Just remember that pen in case inspiration strikes!
- Photography with a real camera (not your phone)
- Flower press
- Get some clay, or even just play doh
- paint, or draw, or paint by numbers
- Bake or cook – it doesn’t have to be complicated
- Scrapbook (the analogue version, not Pinterest)
- Build a model
Take away the pressure of actually creating something to show anyone, and just let yourself play.
- An actual puzzle! (remember those?)
Not sure how you’re feeling?
Struggling, try and do one thing, however small and pointless you think it is. I promise you’ll feel better.
- Change your sheets
- Do one load of laundry (but remember to take it out!)
- Wash dishes
- Have a bath or a shower
- List 3 things you will do tomorrow or when you feel better
- Make a plan or a to do list for later or tomorrow
- Make a cup of tea
When we are feeling less positive, it can be helpful to write down whatever thoughts we are having. Try not to think too much, Remember, you aren’t writing for anyone else to read. You don’t even have to re-read it yourself.
You can even throw it away afterwards for extra symbolic release.
Feeling those bed vibes?
Sometimes you just want to get in bed and pull those covers over your head. You are allowed to do this too. If you are feeling guilty, try reminding yourself you are not alone in feeling like this. If you need to hide away in bed now, you will be more capable to face the world later. Nothing is more important that looking after your mental health, so treat yourself kindly.
For more ways to bring some kindness and ease into your day, there’s some further reading on my blog.
I want to hear from you!
Most importantly, I would love to hear from you:
- What do you do to relax?
- Are you someone who finds it hard to switch off?
- Do you feel guilty doing ‘nothing?’
- Can you offer any tips for other readers?